Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year! With Much Anticipation…


 Seattle, wow...did we have such a great time. That was the best New Year’s Eve I’ve ever had.  Saturday morning we woke up with much excitement and nerves on edge (to say the least). We have been waiting for this day all week.  Once we landed, we both were occupied with downtown Seattle’s beautiful city not to mention the cold weather). The city has so much to see and do. We checked into our hotel room and quickly went for a short walk around town. Before we knew it, we arrived at the restaurant “Von’s”. We met up with Lexi and Angel around 1:00ish.
 To explain my first reaction was, “wow she is so small, tall and beautiful. Kevin and I welcomed her with a big hug and smile. We began talking like we’ve known each other for years.
 Lexi informed us that Angel had already begun her cycle of taking birth control. We also found out Angel will begin starting her fertility shots around January 14th and leaving Seattle to India in the 15th. We were told that there is another egg donor from Seattle going for retrieval at KIC as well. She will be traveling with our egg donor on the same flight and staying at the same hotel. This has put Angel at ease as well as her family and us.
 We spent the next several hours learning in detail everything about her life. Where she was born, where she grew up and how she came to live in Seattle. We learned in detail about her, what she was like, is like and what she would like to be like in five years. It was then that she took the time to explain to us how and why she choose to become an egg donor an. She said that she learned about becoming an egg donor from a friend that had just donated herself. She learned about the process, the cons/ pros and the outcome of it all. She told us she wanted to help a couple become a loving family..she wanted to give them that gift. So told us she wanted to meet us, before we had asked.
You see, intended parents and egg donors do not meet each other about 94% of the time. It’s a way of keeping the personal side of it (referring to emotions, other opinions or suggestions) and the business side of it separate. There are some egg donors that have “open option” on their profile. This is a possibility that she will be open to meet the child once he/she becomes 18. She was one of them. No, it doesn’t bother me at all. Our child will know his/her story in time. I will proudly tell him why I couldn’t have children, so we asked another woman to help us. When they become of age, I will encourage him to want to meet her. I know the feeling of wanting to meet my other biological half. I was adopted by my father when I was a very young toddler. I was told about my situation when I was ten. I understood what lead my mother and me to the man that adopted me. I understood there was someone out there that was my blood. However, I understood, my father was my dad. He is and always will be.
I then told her for our reasoning for wanting to meet her. I explained that” I have waited my whole life to become a mother. I wanted to meet you. To tell you in person how much I appreciate everything you are doing for us. I believe it takes a special person to make this choice. I knew as soon as I read your profile that you were the perfect one. I am overwhelmed with love, gratitude and happiness to you now and forever. I wanted you to meet us also to get to know us. To learn about us, who we are and what kind of parents we will be”. As both Angel and I were sobbing our eyes out, Lexi said” okay, okay, no crying. This is a happy moment”. In deed it was. We all talked further about the process, our lives and again, the joy we have found in one another. We finally had to say our good-byes. As Angel and I were hugging, through tears she asked me if it was okay if we let her know how things were going once in awhile. She wasn’t specific in regards to the pregnancy or after. But I knew what she meant. She also asked for a picture. She too wanted to remain in contact with me. I of course said “yes”. As Kevin and I had regained our emotions and tried to come off of cloud nine, we decided to hit the town. We had the best night ever. As we laid down to sleep that night, I couldn’t help but think “o’my gosh, this time next year, I could be a mommy”. I had the best dream I’ve ever had that night.

Kevin and I in Seattle that evening







No comments:

Post a Comment